Thursday, August 22, 2013

Work in Progress

I was having a particularly rough day today and then I saw this sign. (: The past two days we have been screening the new prek kids, this as you know can make for a very stressful day. Some children separate easily from their parents, some don't. Some children can stay on task very well, others are easily distracted. Some children test well, some don't. In most cases this is the first time I get to meet the children and their families. Unless I have had an older sibling in my classroom I don't know these children or their families. I don't know if there is food in their cupboards at home, if they had to borrow money to put gas in their gas tanks to get here or if this child was a preemie and not suppose to live past his first birthday because of some complication. I don't know their story and they don't know mine. I try my best not to judge them with my first impressions. Keep this in mind as you meet your new classes. We are all a "Work in Progress", don't label your kids and treat them differently because of the way they are dressed, the way they talk, negative things you have heard about the family or how they score on an assessment.

BTW these are boot trays (nice size because they are long and narrow to fit on top of our shelves) for children to keep those ongoing art and construction projects. Many times there are Lego structures, drying Play-dough sculptures and wet paint pictures on the trays, all waiting to be finished the next day. (:

No comments: