Thursday, August 29, 2013

Chester Raccoon and the first day of school

The first day of school for nine bright eyed preschoolers. The PreK students at our school do "staggered entry" which means half of the class comes one day for their first day and the rest of the class comes the next. All of our kids come together on the Tuesday after Labor Day.  I consider first days great based on mostly one thing.... TEARS! or the lack of them to be more specific. This includes tears from children, parents or teachers... and today was a great day!  I seen some brief "almost" tears but they dried up quickly after mom left the classroom. First days are made up of teaching routines, learning names, and counting heads. The routines will slowly become habit (I hope), I think we'll get the names straight pretty quick and I work with a wonderful teacher who takes care of me on the "counting heads" part. (:  The Kissing Hand and No, David! were a hit with the kids and we charted how we felt today.

_Chester__ felt _sad_ on the first day of school.
_________ felt _____ on the first day of school.
_________ felt _____ on the first day of school.
_________ felt _____ on the first day of school.

As I filled in the blanks we got many different answers including "happy", "excited",  "sleepy", "good" and "just right". I am happy to note that Chester was the only one who felt sad on their first day. I am really hoping the trend continues through tomorrow! I will let you know...


No comments: